Thursday, July 16, 2009

Love Now.


I think dogs make us consider the impermanence of life and relationships more than having children or being married or being in long term relationships of any kind. It's because their lives are so short. When we get a dog we know this, when we decide to marry or have kids, the brevity of the relationship isn't as obvious.

My dog Honey is almost twelve, old for a dog, young and hopeful for a human. Sometimes when I'm with my family which includes my husband, Brad and my dogs, Honey and Gus, I'm overwhelmed by the reality that in 5 or 6 years or less my family could be completely different.

Sometimes I hug Honey and I say to her "don't ever leave me, I love you too much". I know this is an unrealistic request, even unfair, because dogs come into the world as healing beings ready to help humanity in their simple and profound way. Most of them settle into that purpose quickly because of their limited time on earth.

I really wouldn't want Honey to stay past her purpose or natural comfortable lifespan for me, even though the thought of losing her is devastating. But the lessons I can learn from the impermanence of having a temporary family that includes animals is to appreciate and love fully at every moment, not only my dogs and my husband but everyone that comprises my life.

3 Comments:

At July 16, 2009 at 1:42 PM , Blogger Rohan Shelties said...

What a powerful post-thank you so much for sharing it with us in the blogger world. I try to remember every day what a gift it is to have my "heart-dogs" as a part of my life, but...the words, descriptions and how you put them together just really hit home to me. Again, thank you SO much for sharing!
Sheltie Hugs
Sheltie-Mom Jenn, Heidi and Shelby

 
At July 17, 2009 at 8:35 AM , Blogger Brenda Bryan said...

Thank YOU for your kind comment!
-B

 
At July 17, 2009 at 8:07 PM , Blogger eyewearprincess said...

Brenda, this was so beautifully written and so touching to read. Being a month into my love affair with my new baby Zoe (I wish you could meet her! You'd LOVE her, as I love baby Gus), I find myself so moved and in absolute aggreement with your words. I'm so impressed that you've found a new, wonderful calling. I hope to see you when we come to Seattle next week!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home